ABOUT US

The Nesconset Chamber of Commerce strives to create opportunities for businesses to increase their visibility in the community and to create events to bring local business and community together.

ADDRESS

PO Box 392 
Nesconset, NY 11767

President@nesconsetchamber.org

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Facebook
  • YouTube

© 2023 by PremierMKTG Copyright 2023

Our History.

Many of us live in Nesconset but do not know the rich history this hamlet has!

Take a read and dive into the making of Nesconset!

Prior to contemporary settlement, a sparse population of farmers lived near Lake Ronkonkoma. A primitive road network existed as Gibbs Pond Road, Browns Road, Old Nichols Road, Townline Road and the predecessor of Smithtown Boulevard. In 1904, brothers and French immigrants Louis and Clemen Vion, came to the Pine Barrens of southeastern Smithtown from Manhattan on numerous occasions as sportsmen. By 1910, the brothers cut a line of trees off of Gibbs Pond Road immediately south of modern-day NY-347 to create Midwood Avenue. They built their home on this street where it still present to this day.

 

As the population grew, a lumber yard, general store, and post office were constructed in 1908. The historic Nesconset Schoolhouse was built in 1910 and the Nesconset Fire Department was built by 1935. A commercial center emerged where Lake Avenue South and Gibbs Pond Road meet. The brothers decided to name the newly established settlement after Smithtown's local historical figure, Nasseconsett, who deeded the Nissequogue people's land to Richard Smith. Later development was concentrated on Lake Avenue South, Southern Boulevard and the Lake Ronkonkoma area along Gibbs Pond Road in the form of summer residences.

By 1930, Nesconset had a population of 50 people along Lake Avenue and spread along Smithtown Boulevard and Gibbs Pond Road. The construction of NY-347 in the 1950s opened the southeast corner of Smithtown to rapid residential development to Storybook Homes by bisecting the small center of the hamlet. This forced the shift of the commercial center of Nesconset to Smithtown Boulevard between Old Nichols Road and Southern Boulevard. This area was known formerly as East Hauppauge.

Sited From: Wikipedia